Sunday, May 9, 2010

Scenic Sunday

It is becoming quite the tradition for us now to take a drive every Sunday. I am loving it. There is so much to see.

Today, we decided to stick with the Mother's Day theme and go somewhere where there are a ton of Mothers.



No not Provo....




That's right: Colorado City!
Home of the FLDS church... better known by some as Polygamists.
I didn't take a ton of photos of the people because I didn't want to offend them. And we kind of stuck out.
(A family playing soccer at a school.)
I actually have a deep respect for these people... especially the women. They believe that they are doing God's will just like I do.

Overall, Colorado City was nothing like what I expected. There were big houses...
but most of them were unfinished on the outside.
There were a few smaller houses and some run down places,
but almost everyone had really nice cars. I've never seen so many 12 passenger vans in all my life. And Joe was drooling over all the nice trucks.

The most surprising thing to me was how many kids I saw on four wheelers. I was weirded out to see so much activity on a Sunday. I thought that there were strict rules about Sabbath Day observance but there were people in the parks playing. I also saw a coffee shop so I'm not sure about their beliefs on that.

Oh and there is no temple in Colorado City. That was a bit disappointing to me.

But my favorite discovery was when we accidentally left the boundaries of the "church". We found a place with much more expensive looking houses. I thought for sure that this must be a totally separate belief system but there was a strange feeling about it. We called one of our friends, who actually left the FLDS church and is from Colorado City. He said that we were in an area where people lived who had left the church. I laughed out loud. These people left the church, abandoning their beliefs, and moved across the street!

One thing was for sure... they picked a BEAUTIFUL place to build a city.
It was a pretty cool experience. I wished that we could have talked to some of the people but I was very conscious of the fact that we were the "outsiders" there. And their beliefs and way of life are sacred to them.

As usual, Jay was oblivious to everything going on. He kept himself entertained with a water bottle.
Look at the focus. I'm so proud.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Okay, that was a very unique road trip. I think the appropriate word is surreal. Maybe it's just me, but I would've been immensely sad driving through there... It does look like a beautiful area though!

Camille said...

Your little boy is Awesome! Colorado City is a beautiful place. I have never been there but I saw many people while I was down there. Oh have fun exploring the sights. I miss it so much down there. I got to know Zion's really well and the slot canyons. That was my playground for 8 months. :)