For those of you who missed my last post (or stopped reading because it was much too long) here's a quick intro: My son Jay is deathly allergic to milk... as in he could literally die if he goes untreated after ingesting any part of milk in any form. Last week, Jay's whole body broke out in hives and a rash and we had no idea why. (Now you're caught up.)
So today we took him to the only Allergist in town and despite all the negative things I had heard about him, I decided I would go in with a completely open mind. It started out okay. He was loud and slightly abrasive but nothing I couldn't handle. Well, they ended up doing a scratch test on Jay... AKA razor blades dipped in allergens stabbing your child repeatedly in the back. Lovely. Poor Jay screamed his guts out but the stabbing part only lasted a minute. Then my dear sweet boy stopped crying and actually said "Thank you" to the nurse who had done the test. After that, we just had to wait to see if he would break out. All was going well until about halfway through when the nurse came back in and acted confused as to what allergens she had put in which places! Seriously?! Then the doctor came in a little later and he looked confused as well! He finally gave us a list of things that Jay had reacted to but how on earth do I trust that?
Now I don't really know what to do. There is one other Allergist that travels to St. George from Salt Lake one day a month and I will for sure be going to see him as soon as possible. My biggest question is, do I trust the results of this test or do I put Jay through another test to make sure?
According to this test, Jay is not only allergic to Milk but also PEANUTS (!), Beef, Lamb, and Pork! I just want to cry. And the doctor said that because Jay has allergies the chances of this baby having them are pretty good! Sigh.
Okay, end of pity party. Thanks for coming.