Monday, July 6, 2009

Blessings and Pit Stops

Once all the fireworks were over, we went back to Amy's house to sleep. Joe was so tired but Michael wanted to stay downstairs and talk to him. Joe got a brilliant idea to show Michael how real men sleep. Worked like a charm. The next morning was John's blessing.
Does the outfit look familiar? (I wonder how many babies have been blessed in this now.)
What a cute big brother.
These boys just melt your heart huh?
And this picture is for Amy who says I put Jay into every post even if it's not about him.
The blessing was great and after sacrament meeting we stayed to hear Zachary give a talk in Primary. He taught some very wise principles about prayer. Basically talking to Heavenly Father is supposed to be fun. After that we hit the road.

One of the best things about being married to Joe is that he is always game to stop and check things out on road trips. First we stopped in Twin Falls to eat and see the Temple. It was pouring rain, so in the blessing on the food I asked Heavenly Father to stop the rain long enough to take some pictures. (I was applying what I had learned in Primary that day.) A few minutes later the rain let up! I took a bunch of pictures and as soon as I got back in the truck, it started pouring again! Sometimes my faith scares me.
Then we did something that in all my years of traveling that horrible drive to Utah, I have ALWAYS wanted to do. We stopped at the Malad Gorge State Park. If you don't think you know what I'm talking about... you do. It is pretty much the only cool thing from Boise to the Utah border. And you only get a glimpse of it from the highway.

As we drove into the parking lot we saw this sign.
Funny stuff.

But then I understood.
(This was taken from the Devil's Washbowl Lookout.)

There was a little catwalk across the gorge... which was quite scary actually. But there were no big fences like at the other bridge we stopped at near Shoshone Falls. You could literally walk off the edge if you wanted to.
It was kinda cool and it only took a few minutes. The next time you're taking the dreaded drive to Utah, you should stop there. It will make you feel better about Southeast Idaho.

5 comments:

Amy Bates said...

I could stare at pictures of my kids all day! Aren't they cute? It was so much fun having you guys down for the 4th. Hopefully we can hang out A LOT more often.

Shannon said...

You should frame those pictures of the gorge. Seriously.

And the kids are pretty darn cute too!

Sherri Harward said...

I love all of your pictures. Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend.

You took some really pretty photos of Abrie's family and it is funny. I was thinking about you a couple a weeks ago and wished I could have you take some pics of just my kids. You are so good at those. I really haven't had any hang up in the front room pics of my kids in a while. Would you let me know if you would be interested in helping me out with that. And let me know how much it would be. I would just love to get some of your beautifuly done pictures.

Chelsea B. said...

Looks like you had a great time. I love all the pictures!

Marie said...

SouthWEST Idaho ;) Have you ever stopped at the Farmhouse Restaurant? It's in Wendell, right of the interstate, and they have great food for good prices. My husband loves it because they give him a million hot wings for like $5. I don't think we make a Utah trip without stopping there.